Digital menu boards are an essential aspect of any restaurant or food establishment. They play a critical role in attracting customers and boosting sales. But the value is largely attributed to digital menu board design. If a menu board is overly cluttered, hard to read, low resolution or low contrast, the relative benefits of digital signage can be reduced. In this article, we will explore the best practices for designing effective digital menu boards.
Rules of Thumb on How to Design Digital Menu Boards
Here are some basic rules of thumb you should always follow:
- Select menu placement carefully. Where you place your menus matters as it will affect your menu displays significantly. Consider placing your screens behind the ordering counter, as ordering kiosks, at the entrance of your store, and/or near the dining areas.
- Choose the right size and format. The size and format of your digital menu board are crucial. You want to choose a size that is large enough to be easily seen from a distance without crowding the menu. Use a clear and simple font with subheadings and bullet points to break up the text and pricing information.
- Be mindful of color choices – Color plays a critical role in attracting customers and can influence their mood and perception of the food. Choose colors that are visually appealing, and make sure they complement each other. It is also ideal to choose a color that contrasts with the background. Where applicable, select colors that are psychologically associated with hunger cues (such as red and yellow).
- Use high-quality images – Images are an essential part of digital menu boards because humans eat with their eyes. Use high-quality images that are clear with vivid colors, and make sure they accurately depict the food and drinks being offered.
- Keep it updated – Regularly updating your digital menu board is essential. By doing this, you can not only ensure that customers have access to the latest information, but you can also make updates to accommodate any of you businesses’ objectives and needs.
Digital Menu Board Layout Options
One of the benefits of using Digital menu boards is that you can now have several layout possibilities to create an attractive, dynamic, and easy-to-read menus with ease. Some popular options include:
This is the simplest and most common layout option, where items are arranged in a grid-like pattern. This layout is easy to navigate and can be customized to display images and prices. The grid layout is commonly found in quick-service restaurants, where meal deals are the predominant menu offerings.
A chalkboard or list layout is a popular design choice for digital menu boards, particularly in casual and rustic-themed restaurants. This layout presents menu items in a simple and straightforward manner. It’s a great option for businesses with an extensive menu.
In a chalkboard layout, items are usually presented in a list format, with the item name and price displayed in a chalk-like font. There are usually minimal images displayed on chalkboard digital menu boards.
This layout displays items on different parts of the screen, making it easier for customers to compare items side-by-side. The split-screen layout leans more heavily on images to create appeal for customers.
An interactive layout elevates the customer experience. This type of layout is usually seen on self-ordering kiosk where customers can directly interact with the menu to view additional nutrition information, scan promo codes, make orders, and more. Interactive menu kiosks are becoming increasingly popular in quick-service restaurants as they allow customers to make orders on their own without holding up the line.
In terms of design, digital menu boards offer various limitless customization options to bring your menus to life and draw customers’ attention. Unlike traditional menu boards, you can add dynamic animations, smooth motions, and captivating images to stimulate the customers’ appetite, highlight high-margin menu items, and share different limited-time offers. Here are some tips and tricks for creating digital signs for you to learn more: Click here.
Creating an engaging, well-designed digital menu board is critical to the effectiveness of a menu in turning hungry visitors into paying customers. With an easy-to-read layout and high-quality images, customers will be enticed to purchase more menu items, and staff will spend less time explaining the menu.
To bring your digital menu boards to full effect, it is always recommended to work with a professional design team who have experience with designing digital menu boards. Talk to us today and find out how we can help you create digital menu boards for your business together.