Integral parts of modern business are marketing and communication strategies. How a business communicates with consumers reflects its success.
So, a business needs something dynamic and engaging to make a strong and lasting impression. This is where digital signage plays its role.
In this blog post, we’ll walk you through 4 steps to get started with digital signage for your business.
1. Define Objectives
Before diving into digital signage, it’s important to have a clear understanding of your objectives. What do you want digital signage to help you with? What do you aim to achieve when using this tool?
- Customer Experience: You might want to improve the overall experience for customers. Real-time information, entertaining content, or interactive experiences on digital signs will make your business stand out and offer positive customer experiencesSupermarkets, grocers, convenience stores.
- Advertising & Promotion: Grabbing customers’ attention and prompting sales is a business essential. Digital signage like shelf displays is a powerful tool to advertise your products and services at the right time and place.
- Internal Communications: Effective communication with employees is the backbone of any business. Share news, updates, and important announcements with digital displays to keep everyone on the same page.
Example: McDonald’s, one of the world’s largest fast-food chains, uses digital signage not only for displaying menus but also to provide real-time information. Sharing new available options, promotions, and the latest deals promotes upselling.
2. Choose Hardware & Software
Selecting the right hardware and software is important. Their good quality ensures you achieve your business goals and adjust if needed. When choosing, your priority is to receive a high return on investment (ROI).
- Hardware: Invest in high-quality displays, media players, and mounts that are suitable for your environment. Consider factors like screen size, resolution, and durability. For example, certain displays work outside in sunlight while others are not weather-resistant.
- Software: Choose digital signage software that aligns with your objectives. Look for features like content scheduling, remote management, and compatibility with various media formats. Features like these help you stay competitive in the industry when changes arise.
Example: Installing weather-resistant drive-thru menu boards ensures customers can view the displays comfortably. This promotes a positive customer experience and sales.
3. Create Compelling Content
The success of your digital signage largely depends on the content you display. Ensure that your content is engaging, relevant, and visually appealing.
- Content Planning: Develop a content strategy that includes a mix of static images, videos, animations, and interactive elements. Consider your target audience and the signage’s context.
Visual Design: Invest in graphic design and multimedia production. This makes sure that your content looks professional and conveys your brand message.
Example: Shopping centers use digital signage to display advertisements, wayfinding, and event information. Their content is visually appealing and relevant, enhancing the overall shopping experience.
4. Installation & Maintenance
Proper installation and ongoing maintenance are crucial to keep your digital signage running smoothly. Imagine spending money on digital signage but the vendor is unresponsive when problems arise. So, choosing a vendor who is ready to help is also important.
- Installation: Ensure that your displays are installed securely in the correct location. Choose a location(s) where your target audience easily sees them. Consider factors like power sources and connectivity. So, make sure to check and select the locations before installation.
- Maintenance: Regularly update and check your content to keep it fresh and relevant. Address any technical issues promptly to prevent service disruptions.
Example: Coca-Cola’s “Share a Coke” campaign involved the use of personalized digital billboards that displayed the names of passersby. The successful execution of this campaign required meticulous installation and maintenance.
Digital signage is a versatile and impactful tool for businesses to communicate with customers. It enhances the customer experience and achieves various marketing objectives. Make your life easier by following these 4 steps—defining objectives, choosing the right hardware and software, creating compelling content, and focusing on installation and maintenance.
Keep in mind that it is important to stay updated with the latest trends and technologies in digital signage. This will help you improve your business and stay competitive.